WHAT IS CORONA Virus Disease?
Corona Virus disease or COVID-19 is an infectious disease caused by the new Corona Virus. Since December 2019 there has been a major outbreak of a deadly virus in Wuhan, China called Novel Corona Virus or nCoV 2019. It was initially limited to the Wuhan city only, but now it has spread globally and termed as a pandemic infectious disease.
Where did the Corona Virus come from?
Corona Virus is the virus found in animals and rare in humans and spread from person to person. Apart from COVID-19, other corona viruses are:
- The MERS virus (Middle East Respiratory Syndrome)
- The SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome)
Corona Virus has been around for a while in animals and has jumped to humans. Theories suggest that this virus may have spread from the bats to snakes and from snakes to humans.
SYMPTOMS OF COVID-19
COVID-19 (Corona Virus) causes mild flu-like symptoms to severe pneumonia and life-threatening symptoms. Let us see symptoms:
- Shortness of breath
In severe forms of infection, or in patients with a weakened immune system, the patient can experience severe difficulty in breathing; can develop Pneumonia, Bronchitis, Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome, kidney failure and even death.
The COVID-19 has a specific incubation period of 2-14 days. Some theories suggest even 27 days of the incubation period.
How does the Corona Virus spread?
Corona virus has rapid spread through person to person contact. The virus also spreads through Respiratory droplets produced. When a person is already infected sneezes or coughs, his respiratory droplets can infect a nearby person through nose, mouth, eyes or ears.
It also spreads from touching contaminated surfaces through these droplets and then touching one’s face. Research says the virus can live on surfaces up to 72 hours.
Preventive measures of COVID-19 (Corona Virus) infection
The World Health Organisation (WHO) recommends the following steps for prevention of the COVID-19 (Corona Virus):
- Wash your hands with soap and water thoroughly. It is the best possible way to keep the virus away from you as the outer lipid layer of the virus gets dissolved by washing hands with soap and virus dies. It is recommended to wash your hands every time before eating food and coming back home from outside or touching on any surface which has high chances of contamination such as lift door or buttons, doorknobs, chairs, cups, tables in public spaces.
- One can also opt for an Alcohol-based sanitizer as ethanol has been effective in killing the virus.
- Do not touch your face or rub your eyes, nose, ears, especially if your hands are unwashed.
- Do not come in close contact with people who are suffering from flu-like symptoms.
- Avoid being in crowded places. If you are around people cover your nose with a mask. (it is necessary that you sanitize your hand before wearing a mask and do not touch mask with your hands or else you will end up contaminating the mask)
- Disinfect objects and frequently touched surfaces.
- Avoid eating raw or uncooked eggs and meat.
Why you should be staying home in this time of crisis? What is Social Distancing.?
In public health, social distancing, also called physical distancing, is a set of non-pharmaceutical interventions or measures intended to prevent the spread of a contagious disease by maintaining a physical distance between people and reducing the number of times people come into close contact with each other.
With the total number of COVID-19 infection increasing globally each day, health officials, CDC and WHO has advised on Social Distancing. The biggest concern is people who may have tested positive but not showing any symptoms of the disease. This person can be a carrier of disease without his knowledge. And can spread it to many other individuals.
Can people with mild COVID-19 symptoms recover at home?
People with mild symptoms who are otherwise healthy should manage their symptoms at home. On average it takes 5–6 days from when someone is infected with the virus for symptoms to show, however it can take up to 14 days.
Prevention: Follow the below easy steps to prevent contracting the virus and transmission to others.